I do not think there’s ever been a candidate as popular as Rodrigo Duterte.
He has a cult following that excels at harassment. It can be accurately described as an online mob geared towards a singular purpose: the lynching of those who have different ideas.
Just ask these celebrities who have experienced the feeling of being trampled on.
Not only do his followers attack, they also share what would normally be considered unbelievable propaganda. We need not look far for proof of these assertions. Facebook is replete with memes of:
- Pope Francis supporting Duterte.
- Jollibee supporting Duterte.
- President Obama supporting Duterte.
And strangely, people believe it, forcing institutions to come out to deny the lies.
Following the mayor’s belief structure, which has since been echoed at an exponential rate by his followers:
- Davao is one of the safest cities in the world.
- Mayor Duterte can end crime in 3-6 months.
- We should pay the NPA’s revolutionary taxes.
- Death squads are OK; only criminals need fear.
- Fondling women is fine “macho” behavior.
- Releasing plunderers like Arroyo is OK.
- Purchase of jets for the PH is a stupid idea.
- Children should be whipped by the police.
- Death by hanging should be reinstated.
- Ferdinand Marcos should receive a hero’s burial.
- Algebra, Calculus, Trigo are useless subjects.
- A communist rebel is not a criminal.
- A communist leader deserves a hero’s burial.
When facts are presented, however, the cult-following blindly ignores reputable sources. Instead the mob sputters out its own interpretations. In their world, armchair opinion is a greater cudgel than the truth.
Very recently, the Philippine National Police made a report of cities in the Philippines with the highest crime figures:
The data shows Davao City being number 4 in the list.
Davao? Crime-prone?!? But the gospel truth has preached the opposite!
Obviously, this information did not sit well with the cult:
Based on the above cases, we can glean the reason for the Mayor’s popularity.
He is appreciated most:
- by those who enjoy mob rule,
- by those who propagate lies, and
- by those who like to delude themselves.
He claims to have the ability to lead, to exact discipline. The fact that he does not exert effort to do so is troubling.
If he is unable to discipline the disciples then the tagline “Duterte Disiplina” falls short. The promise of a better, more disciplined Philippines becomes a lie only sweet in the telling.
If he simply refuses to do so, then you can see the future of a country run with “Duterte Leadership” – lies, hate, delusion & violence.
If you cannot lead your own supporters, what makes you think you can lead a nation?
The pattern of hate, lies & delusion from the cult exists.
And its leader, its false god, watches in appreciation and amusement as the cult propels him towards the presidency.